Originally posted on and copypasta’d from TILTForums – The New Pinball Dictionary.
(Warning, incoming stream of consciousness … I would appreciate your thoughts.)
I wish I could use a format like Urban Dictionary (an API?), so I could link NewPinballDictionary.com and PinballDictionary.org to that. It would be more productive, more “Internet-y”. That way, people can upvote things to prominence and downvote things to obscurity at their heart’s content without waiting for me to sanction it. Does anyone here know how to do the programming magicks?
“@FunWithBonus, make this a thing!” (a comment referring to a suggested term)
It’s you all who have really made this NPD a thing, and I am thankful to you for that. It’s to the point where I doubt I can keep up with this by using my own site. I think I’ll still use my domain as the main page for now, though. The NPD has rescued the daily blog post streak a few times, especially when I have been away at a tournament without good Internet. But as soon as “the Internet” creates that magic bullet that basically is the pinball version of Urban Dictionary … (Don’t look at me for programming skill, I barely remember anything about C++ )
However, I am so close to just forwarding those URLs to this TILTForums topic. It’s had the most consistent and productive activity of all attempts thus far. Reddit has up/down votes but comments on entries lock after a time (90 days?). Pinside and Facebook are good for what they are, I suppose. But TILTForums is where its at.
I have been attempting to find a way to take myself out of the equation as a limiting factor.
Maybe I can go back and find all of the words ever suggested and make a post for each one?
- Without too much regard to the popularity of the suggestion
- From TILTForums, Reddit, Facebook and Pinside
- Plus podcasts I’ve heard and suggestions people gave me in person
- Along with the ones I still have from years ago but haven’t posted
- And the list of recent stuff that I have added to my To-Do list
- Even those referencing proper names that I’ve sort of avoided until now (within reason)
- Including the same jargon word that might refer to different things
Essentially a giant aggregation or clearinghouse of NPD terms. Like an “opening of the gates” or a “release of the hounds”.
It would take some time, and there would a post (possibly multiple posts) each day. It might last from now until Thanksgiving, maybe Christmas! But at least the entries would be up there, and it wouldn’t seem like I am playing favorites, or being a hindrance anymore. I sure would have to make those definition buttons smaller though or maybe eliminate them altogether.
Now that I’ve typed that out, I am seriously thinking about doing this. Starting this effort would be a challenge, like the first step in a marathon. Maybe I am crazy enough to think I could keep up with this.
- Technically, there would always be new content on FWB, and I might even do enough posts a day to be like an actual gaming blog! My SEO and search rankings would skyrocket! Mwah ha ha ha!
- But, I might become shackled to the NPD, as random stuff gets thrown from the peanut gallery. At that point, FWB might = NPD plus Cat Mode and memes with some news posts.
I don’t know … what do you think?
Thanks for reading this.
By the way, here are some random ones on my to-do list to give you an idea:
- Tech. Pass – https://www.reddit.com/r/PinballDictionary/comments/3ftau8/tech_pass/
- Bye-breaker – (lefkoff/stepp) a tiebreaker for the bye spot in a tournament.
- Butterflippers – https://www.reddit.com/r/PinballDictionary/comments/2y0law/butterflippers/
**Can someone Photoshop a Butterfingers bar to say Butterflippers?
- Danger Zone (with synonyms) – https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-pinball-dictionary/page/2#post-2838715
- Skill Search – https://www.reddit.com/r/PinballDictionary/comments/3h8f8r/skill_search/
- Ball Psyched – ballsaver is flashing right in front of your eyes, but no balls come back. (KISS) [Keith Johnson] (on Twitter)
- Newton Cradle Separation – https://youtu.be/piwo9c0jpS8?t=6896 – Evan Bingham
Fun With Bonus is the home of the semi-coherent, misguided ramblings of professional and amateur pinball players.